Sunday, November 30, 2014

Steel Wool Photography

Experimented today with Steel Wool Photography. Took a kitchen wisk, duct tape, a piece of wire, matches, and 00 steel wool. I attached the wire to the wisk with duct tape. I put the steel wool into the wisk and lit it with a match and had my cousin swing the wisk around until it burned out.

My camera aperture was set at 6, and the shutter speed varied from 8s, 10s, and 6s.



To focus I had my cousin shine the flashlight on his phone auto-focussed the camera and then switched it to manual.

My first shots werent as sucessful because I messed up the focus.
The fourth and fifth shots were the most sucessful




When we lit the steel wool I took the photo and for some I tried two photos but I found the steel wool burned from 6-15 seconds and capturing more than one photo was really challenging. I also found the effect of the sparks was more dramatic when the steel wool was separated and pulled apart rather than compact. In the first picture, the steel wool was compact and the later ones we separated it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment